Sunday, March 14, 2010

Shopper Angst

I just started reading Inside the Mind of the Shopper (by Herb Sorensen). So far, it's great. Lot's a concepts that I have already started pulling through to my day job. One in particular has me thinking a lot about retail experiences I have had (or analyzed).

Early in his book, Herb introduces a concept that he calls 'shopper angst'. It definitely resonated with me. Basically, 'shopper angst' is the frustration caused by some action taken by the retailer. Maybe it is poor store layout, or potentially not enough staff to address questions. Regardless, it's a taxing feeling experienced by the shopper. I would argue that it is even more central to the profitability of retailers than Herb suggests (keep in mind I'm only about a third of the way through the book, so maybe he elaborates more).

Think about when you enter Target to pick up a mundane household item. Your spirit is lifted by the bright red colors accenting your shopping experience. The wide aisles make you comfortable in your environment. The clear signage makes is simple for you to find what you need. I'd be willing to bet a vast majority of you actually look forward to these trips.

Now think about going to the local Walmart to make the same purchase. The aisles are narrow. Product is stacked to the ceiling, so you can't tell where you need to head to find the item you are looking for. There are way too many customers blocking your way. And there are too many options to choose from.

Target has definitely won on the shopper angst front. If this were the only factor in retail strategy, they'd be winning by a landslide.

No comments:

Post a Comment