Sunday, September 20, 2009

McDonald's is the king of merchandising

During a five day long strategy session this past week, I decided to let my co-workers in on a little secret. I actually love McDonald's. I am one of the few Americans who is willing to admit that even after hearing all about how toxic their food is, I still crave fries and quarter-pounders. And I eat them with some regularity. I'm not talking about a weekly habit or anything, but I do partake often. One good thing has come of this habit though - I've been able to keep up with their amazing merchandising techniques.

McDonald's has mastered many of the methods I write about in this blog. They pretty much created the bundled package in the food service industry. Everyone knows the value meal. It is so successful that many of this franchisers locations only show them on the menu. Of course you can still order the a la carte items like cheese burgers and small fries, but who would do that when you can get a yummy #1 for only $4.49?

They are also very adept at using their limited product display to their advantage. Over the years they have cycled new products through their featured item slot (the middle panel of the menu board), in many cases creating new product categories like the premium chicken sandwich and the McCafe coffee.

And I wouldn't be doing this post justice if I didn't mention the most perfect upsell - super-sizing! Sure, it's not pc for them to do this anymore, but who can fault McDonald's for significantly increasing their average order size by inserting a five second conversation?

Yay McDonald's! These techniques will ensure you sell the next billion burgers.

No comments:

Post a Comment